26 books-a challenge for 2014

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." -Dr Seuss

I didn't grow up reading very much. My parents didn't read very much. My dad can't sit still long enough to read a book.....he needs to be off doing something. And my mom, I just think she never took the time to read. She reads more now than she ever did before. I'm glad that she's found this hobby. 

I can remember really loving going to the school library and picking out new books. I remember really getting into books that our teachers were reading in class. And I can remember really loving certain books that we had to read for class.....The Outsiders was one of my favorites. So, I'm not really sure why I wasn't the girl who always had her nose stuck in a book. I'm not really sure why I wasn't the one who got wrapped up in the fantasy of all sorts of books. 

One of my goals for 2014 is to read more. I even took the challenge to read 26 books in a year. Now, these 26 books don't have to be grown up books. In fact, I'm going to embrace my love of children's literature and read some of the books that I missed out on growing up. Many of these books I will be able to read with Georgia. She's already one book ahead of me. She's finished her first book of the year and starting on her second  has finished her second as well!

Here is my list of 26 books that I hope to read this year

1. The Secret Garden by Francis Hodgson Burnett currently reading and ALMOST done!
2-10. The Little House Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder I've read 2 in the series already
11. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
12. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
13. Wild by Cheryl Strayed
14. The Giver by Lois Lowry
15. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White rereading this with my daughter
16. Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
17. Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo
18. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
19. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
20. Harriet The Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
21. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
22. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
23. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
24. Princess: A True Story of Life Behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia by Jean Sasson
25. The Year of Billy Miller by Kevin Henkes
26. They Were Still Born: Personal Stories About Stillbirth by Janel Atlas

Whew! That's a lot of reading. I'm not sure if I will make it to 26 books. I'm not sure if I will get tired of all the reading. Maybe I will read more. Who really knows. And I'm starting off the year as a new member of two different book clubs! So, hopefully I get to all the books on the list and many more. I hope that I enjoy this challenge....I hope that it gets me into the habit of picking up a book instead of turning on the TV for companionship. Time will tell. 

Happy reading in 2014 my friends. Please share what books you will be flipping through this year!!!

Comments

Popular Posts