ToT-Nicknames

This week's topic for ToT is nicknames. Did you have one growing up? Where did it come from? Who gave it to you? Is there a meaning behind it?

I did have a few nicknames growing up. Mostly they were based off of my name. Nothing too surprising there. I actually enjoy it when people have nicknames. I love hearing the stories behind the nickname. I love the endearment that comes with having a nickname. It seems when people give you a nickname, they really like you. I like to be liked! Well, here are my nicknames...prepare to be amazed.

Nancy Girl-my Mom and Dad were the ones to call me this most of the time. I believe that it came from my Grandpa's cousin, who I visited on several occasions with my parents. Somehow she started calling me Nancy Girl and it just stuck with my parents. Every once in a while, they still call me that. I think it's cute.

Nanny Goat-Pretty much hate that one. So, my good friend and fellow ToT blogger, Sarah called me that one day in Kindergarten. I've hated it ever since. I think that I told her to stop calling me that. I know that she meant no harm in it, even then I knew that she wasn't being mean.....it's just not my thing. But this is kind of how I remember Sarah and I becoming such good friends. Her mom is named Nancy and I believe that she was called Nanny Goat....and the rest is history!

Nanners-This was another one I had in high school. I believe that another friend named Sarah started calling me this. And it hung around for a few people in college too.

Fletch-My youth pastor, Pastor Bob, started this. I loved the nickname Fletch. Its a cool nickname, if nicknames can be cool. He even made me watch one of the Fletch movies with Chevy Chase. Several of my friends started calling me Fletch during high school as well, especially those I went to church with.

Rooski-Tobin and Shannon, am I spelling this correctly? This is what you call me right? Or is it Nanc-A-Rooski? Hmmm, I'm not sure. See Tobin and Shannon are my in laws. They are fun loving people and love to hand out a nickname. I learned about this nickname when we were bowling one time. I was surprised to learn that I had been given a nickname by them. I had no idea....they never called me that in person, but I guess when they talk about Nolan and Nancy, they use Nol-Dog and Rooski. Again, fun and I feel a term of endearment! If they only knew what we call them! Eh, it's just Tobin and Shannon....we have no creative nicknames. Sorry guys. We love you anyway.

Last but not least.....the most common of all my nicknames.....

Nan-Everyone calls me Nan....my parents, my brother, my in laws, my hubby, my friends. I believe that is my preferred name. I don't mind Nancy. I've come to like my name (that wasn't always the case), but I really like to be called Nan.

So I guess I have a lot of nicknames. They were all given to me by special people and I love them all in their own way. Do you have a nickname?

Comments

  1. My poor mama and poor you! Don't worry, it's only Nan around here these days . . . with the occasional Nanners thrown in :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, while I didn't like the nickname, i liked you. I'm glad you called me that otherwise we might not have become such good friends :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts