The London Games

I've been just slightly obsessed with the Olympics. The TV comes on around 8am and I watch the coverage on The Today Show and stays on until I go to bed. I love watching, pretty much everything. So, I'm stealing an idea from my good friend Rachel at She Thinks. She Says. She made a list about why she is obsessed with the Olympics, so, I thought I would too.



1. It's good family fun. Not only have I been watching non stop coverage, but so has the rest of my household. When we are home, the TV is tuned in to the Olympics. Georgia has been exposed to so many different sports since the summer games started. She's decided that she's going to do synchronized diving and one of the twins will be her partner. We informed her that she is going to have to be OK with putting her head completely under water for this sport. We'll see. 

2. Gymnastics. I've been keeping tabs on both the men's and women's teams. It was thrilling to see all the success, but heartbreaking to watch the disappointment. It's always hard to see someone get upset and know that their dreams have been dashed, but they are so young!!! And those cameras are just shoved in their faces. I don't know how their mothers handle that. But, the highlights for me were of course seeing Gabby win the all around gold medal, watching the women's team get the gold, and seeing Dannell Leyva come back and win the bronze medal in the all around competition. What great strength and determination both teams have, they amaze me. 

\












3. Swimming. Really, how could you watch any of these games without hearing about what happened in the pool? It seemed like everyone was talking about Michael Phelps. And really, why shouldn't they? He really is something. And how about that Missy Franklin? She seems like such the girl next door. I'm so glad that they both did well as well as the entire team. It seemed that the USA dominated the pool. 

4. Women's Indoor Volleyball. Man, those girls can play. It's great watching them. It really makes me wish I would have made the team back in the day.....I tried out, but was cut. Boo! I think that it would have been so fun!

5. Women's Beach Volleyball. I have no idea how two people can run around in the sand for that long. I get tired walking in the sand. And then to have both USA teams in the gold medal match AMAZING!

6. Watching Serena Miller's gold medal winning tennis match. She dominated. And, even though she's won so many other matches, you could tell that this was special. 

7. Oscar Pistorius from South Africa. He is absolutely charming and his story is touching. I'm pretty sure that I have a crush on him. 

8. Water Polo. WOW! Seems like they are trying to drown each other out there. I'm pretty sure that I would come up gasping for breath, but it's all in a days work for these men and women. 

9. Diving. How in the world do they dive and make no splash. Blows my mind. 

10. Kirani James from Grenada. What a classy fellow! He had such respect for Pistorius that he exchanged bibs with him at the end of the their heat. And winning Grenada's first gold medal.....amazing. And he wanted to do it for his country and his people, not just for himself. We were able to watch some Grenadians watch the race and they were going nuts over it. NUTS. Can you imagine, that is the ONLY person you have to root for from your country and you get to witness him winning the gold! What a fantastic feeling that must have been for not only him, but for his country. Way to go Kirani!

So the games will end this weekend and that makes me sad. But all good things must come to an end. I don't think that I would love the Olympics as much if they happened every year. When they only come around every 4 years, they keep that special quality. I hope that you all have watched some of the games. If you haven't you better tune in before it's too late. 

Comments

Popular Posts