We Love Aldi!

So, a while back, we decided we needed to trim our grocery bill. At that point we usually bought groceries through our Green Bean delivery and Target. 

Green Bean Delivery is a service that provides produce, meat and other groceries....mostly organic and some local...and delivers them to your door. Every week you were supposed to update your order so you could get the produce you wanted instead of what they just put in your bin. Well I would forget to update the bin ALL THE TIME. And in the winter, we got lots of Kale (which I know people LOVE and it's so good for you, but we just don't like it...none of us). Anyway, I figured that there just had to be a better/cheaper way for us to do this. 

For most of our other groceries, we went to Target. Target is our big box store of choice. So, since we were there at least once per week anyway, it just made sense to get groceries there as well. But the issue is sometimes, they are a little bit more expensive than some other grocery stores. Ugh! 


So I started thinking about going to Aldi. I read so many things from other blogs about how great Aldi is, I wanted to try it out for myself. And now, I'm a Aldi convert. We ended up stopping our Green Bean Delivery because I can buy so much organic produce at Aldi. And while I do still do grocery shopping at Target, I usually only get the things that I can't get at Aldi (or stuff that I didn't like from Aldi). 

So, what are some of my favorite things to buy at Aldi you ask??? 

Salsa...not the jarred stuff, the fresh stuff from the refrigerator section...it's the best I've ever had! It's AWESOME!

Organic Milk...I save about $2 off of every 1/2 gallon by buying it from Aldi. 

Organic bananas
Organic carrots
Whole Pineapples
Avocados
Cheese....shredded, block, cream...it's all good
Organic Apple Juice
Penguin crackers (Aldi brand Goldfish crackers)
Ice Cream
Frozen Pretzels
Pizza...not frozen but in the deli case...it's only $4.99 for a HUGE cheese pizza! And it's good!
Orange Juice
Chips...kettle cooked or tortilla, both are good
maple syrup
tomatoes
zucchini
mango
peanut butter crackers
onions
cucumbers
green peppers
mushrooms
celery 
lemons
raisins
yogurt
cookie dough (in fall they had a pumpkin cookie dough with white chocolate chips, they were awesome. I even bought some and stuck them in the freezer!)
12 grain bread

Those are just the things that I can remember. Sometimes with the produce you have to watch to make sure it's fresh. I've had some zucchini go bad within a day of buying it. But most of the time, I haven't had a problem. 

There were some things that I just didn't like....apples and grapes...they just didn't taste right. I'm not sure what it was. I don't buy meat there because I like to know where my meat comes from. We get most of ours local at Tyner Pond Family Farm. They deliver it to our house for free. Check them out!!! 

And, even though I've added another grocery store to my shopping routine, it doesn't take that much more time to hit both stores. The Aldi is across the street from Super Target! Nolan said that our Target credit card has been down the past few months, so something must be working. We should really track how much we are spending on groceries. Anyway, try Aldi out and see if you save any cold hard cash. Every little bit helps! Oh if you do go to Aldi make sure you have cash or a debit card...they don't take credit cards or checks, make sure to have a quarter for the shopping cart (don't worry, you get it back when you return your cart) and bring your own bags because they don't supply them. 

Happy shopping friends!!!



Comments

  1. They have a good selection of unique cheeses. At holiday time you can get a goat cheese log covered in cranberries, yum! Also, I like their squeezable applesauces. They also have some great Gluten Free products cheaper than you might find elsewhere! The other thing I like are their random non-food items. But if you see something you really like and are thinking that you might come back to get it later, don't wait, those type of things sell quickly. I've missed out because I waited. :-( Also, I am a relatively new fan of Aldi (within the last 2 years).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes the squeezable applesauce! The twins love that!!! I'll have to check out that goat cheese next year! It sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts