Happy Valentine's Day

Ah, Valentine's Day! A day for lovers! A day for flowers and candy and sweet nothings whispered in your ear! Well, all of that changes once you have kids! The day for lovers are gone....there are no more sweet nothings whispered. And really, there were never any sweet nothings whispered here. And even though Valentine's Day has changed around here, I think that I like it more since we've had kids. Sharing the day with my girls and my hubby and expressing our love for each other is one of my favorite things! 

With holidays, I really love to have traditions. Last year, Nolan and I wrote a little message to Georgia on a heart and taped it to her wall. She loved it. Actually, she left it up until just recently. This year, I bought a small note book and we both wrote little messages inside for her. It was just full of the little things that we love about her. The things that make Georgia Georgia! 

Last year, I also left her a little treat every morning from Feb 1-14. They were accompanied with a little cheesy note....like "Valentine, you are the WRITE one for me." with a little pen. Nothing that I bought was expensive.....it was all less than $1.50 per item.....with most less than $1. 

Every morning she would race downstairs to see her note and get her little treat. It was sweet. Nolan and I would get a hug out of the deal, see a smile come to our girl's face and know that she is feeling pretty great about herself. It's an easy way to build her confidence and show her how much with love her....even the little things about her, like her giggles!

Evie and June got the short end of the stick. They don't know, so it's cool right. They did each get a little stuffed monkey! But they didn't get the notes or the daily gifts. We will have to get them in on the action one of these days. 

Nolan usually brings his girls flowers on Valentine's day. This year was no acception! The girls got a little bouquet of carnations and I got a huge bouquet of daisies. I don't need roses! I would rather get a huge bouquet of daises than a over priced bouquet of roses! 

And a couple of years ago we started a little tradition....a couple years ago, we made no plans for Valentine's Day dinner. I was pregnant with the twins and really didn't feel like cooking a fancy dinner like I did the year before. So we decided to go out.....the only place we could get into was Buca Di Beppo. If you've never been to Buca, they serve family style portions of delicious Italian food. So, last year, we continued with the tradition. This year was more of the same....Nolan made us reservations and we trekked downtown, through the snow covered streets to get our traditional Buca Valentine's Day dinner! 

I love our traditions...I love the little gifts that we give Georgia....I loved to exchange cards....I love when Nolan walks through the door with a bouquets of flowers for his girls.....and I love our yummy "fancy" family dinner at Buca! 

Do you celebrate Valentine's Day? What do you do to make the day special? Or is it just another day to you? 

Comments

Popular Posts