While Daddy's Away His Girls Will Play

So last week Nolan was off on a business trip to Seattle. He got to stay at a fancy hotel. He got wined and dined every night. He go out with coworkers on the company dime. As for me, well, I think that I got the better part of the deal because I got to spend the week with this little girl.

Georgia's 4 year old picture, taken by moi, 2011

I mean really, who would want to spend the week in a swanky town like Seattle when you could be in Indianapolis with that sweet little girl? Well, while it would have been nice to get away for a week, it was pretty awesome to spend quality time with my best girl. 

Nolan left on Monday morning, very early. Once Georgie and I woke up and groomed ourselves, we went shopping with my friend Sarah and her sweet little boy James, you may have seen his photos in a previous post, Sweet Baby James. He's really cute and sweet and Georgia loves to hang out with him and make him laugh. We had lunch together and then headed home. 

For dinner Monday night we met up with my dad (who was also without a spouse this week since my mama was livin' it up in Florida with her sisters....no one asked me to go on this girls trip...hmmm). He was able to take all of his girls (me, my nieces and Georgia) to a five star dining establishment....Steak n Shake. It's a big hit with the kids, even if I feel like my stomach might explode after eating there. And it was fun to have a date with my dad and nieces.

Steak n Shake ALWAYS reminds me of late nights during college....running to Steak n Shake and sitting there for hours with friends over a milk shake and french fries. 

Tuesday, Georgia had school. So after I dropped her off, I was able to have a little bit of time to myself. YEA RIGHT! I had yet another ultrasound to go to. I go for an ultrasound every other week. While I love seeing my babies, I do get annoyed that I have to go so frequently. It's really not a lot of fun driving 20 minutes and sitting for another 20 minutes to see someone at the OB office. But having the relief of knowing that both babies are doing well and have little beating hearts and that no early labor has started is worth it. 
While at the appointment, it was confirmed that both babies are girls. There was a tiny bit of doubt with Baby A because at my last two ultrasound appointments, she had her feet crossed right in front of her girl parts. But this time she decided to stop being so modest. 

After I picked up Georgia from school and we ran home for a quick lunch, we went to an afternoon showing of the movie Chimpanzee. Georgia has been waiting to see this movie for months. It's a Disney Nature movie about a young chimp, named Oscar, and his mother. He gets separated from his mother and has to find another chimp to adopt him. It's really an amazing story. I knew going into the movie that I was going to cry, and yes the tears began to flow when little Oscar is searching for his mother and he can't find her. It was incredibly sad. It was also so amazing watching how alike we are to chimps. 

This is sweet little Oscar. Look at that face....ugh, tugs at my heart every time!

After the movie and a nap, we went out for pizza. YUM. That was mostly because I had been on the go since 7am and there were some dishes that needed to be done. I didn't feel like washing dishes, cooking dinner and then washing dishes again and cleaning up the kitchen. It might be a bit lazy, but I don't really care. When we got back home I gave Georgia a manicure. She loves to have her nails painted. She soaked up all the attention that I was giving her and I soaked up all the quality time that I got to spend with my kiddo. 

Wednesday was our day at home. We spent the day tiding up the house and just hanging out. We did have to go to Target for a couple of things, but we relaxed for most of the day. It was much needed low key day for this mommy. 

Thursday, Georgia's last day of school for the week. It was hat day, so she picked out a green safari hat to wear. She was very excited to show that off to her classmates. After school we had some lunch and hung out at home. Later in the afternoon we went grocery shopping. You see, on Thursday nights my entire family gets together at my parent's house for dinner. My brother and his family, my family, my nephew and his wife and my mom and dad all share dinner together and catch up and find out whats been happening that week. It's nice to see everyone and be together one night a week. Well, since my mother was gone, remember, she's the one who was in Florida for the week, I said that I would cook dinner. So after shopping I headed over to my parent's house and prepared a meal for us all. Thankfully the others cleaned up afterwards! Yea! I love cooking, but I hate cleaning. 

After Georgia went to bed, I tried to stay up and wait for Nolan to come home. He was supposed to get in late that night. Well, he got in sometime after 1am. Needless to say, I feel asleep on the couch, woke up and went to bed. He did wake me up to let me know that he arrived home safe and sound. 

Friday, Nolan had to go to work, and even though I was home with Georgia all day, it wasn't the same. I knew that he would be home that evening and our family would be together again. And while, I had a great time with my girl, it did make for a very looooong week for this mama. I have to give a hand to my single parent friends out there. It's hard. Kids push your buttons, they run circles around you with all of their energy, you feed them, you bath them, you clean the house....you do everything and sometimes it just doesn't seem like it's enough or that you're doing the right things. 

Having this week away from Nolan also made me so thankful for him. While we ate dinner out every night and went to movies and went shopping and did manicures, I wouldn't trade any of that for time at home with him. He's an awesome dad and a fantastic husband. I picked a winner!!! And I'm glad that I get to share this time with him. We get to watch our girls grow up and become young ladies and know that we had a hand in guiding them towards the women that they will be, and that my friends, is great. 




Comments

Popular Posts