ToT-The Music In Me

Is it Tuesday already? Noooo, it can't be.
Well, it really is Tuesday, I KNOW it came around way too soon, and it's time for another ToT blog. This week's topic is all about music. Those of you who know me well, and even those that don't know me well, know that I L-O-V-E music. So, without further ado, MUSIC.

I've told you before about my uncanny ability to memorize song lyrics. I can vividly remember sitting in my parent's Oldsmobile singing my heart out to every country song that came on the radio. Or listening to my mom sing old country songs or hymns while she was in the kitchen (she still does this by the way). I guess listening to music all the time, gave me the gift of memorizing lyrics in a short amount of time. Nolan is always amazed by all the songs that I know. He is even more amazed when it is some odd old song that I'm pretty sure no one else my age would ever know...Yep, I bet I know it.

Now I can memorize song lyrics, but ask me to read music. Nope. No way, no how. I took piano lessons, my parents twisted my arm and forced me into it, but if you gave me a sheet of music, it would take me a long time to figure out what the notes were and how to play it. When I took piano lessons, I got by (barely!) by memorizing the tune of the song. It would have been much easier if I would have learned to read music. My inability to read music has hindered me with upper level music opportunities that have come my way. I've been too nervous to audition for choirs in the area because I can't sight read. I hate that, but it's just the way it is. If something is played for me a couple of times, I've got it and I have no trouble singing it back. But don't ask me to sing something that I've never heard before. And really, right now, I just don't have the time to learn to read music. And I'm going to have even less time once these twins are born. Maybe someday I will learn.

I've also told you how music was a huge part of what made me happy when I was 10. Singing in my bedroom to NKOTB on my pink radio was a huge part of growing up for me. I loved pretending like I was giving my own concert.....sometimes I still like to pretend that I am giving my own concert. Sometimes Nolan is at home with me when this happens. He likes it.....really he does. Oh, his favorite is when I pretend to give my own concert on our road trips to Kansas.....trapped in a car with a loud singer must be AWESOME.

That love for putting on my own concerts lead me to audition for choir in high school. I was pretty much crushed that I didn't make it into a show choir my sophomore year of high school. I felt that I was good enough to be in one, but obviously my choir teachers did not. After a year of slumming it in a lower choir (just kidding, I had a great time with those gals) and taking voice lessons (yea, still didn't learn to read music when I took voice lessons either....I must of had some great piano and voice instructors) I auditioned for show choir again and got into the top choir at Warren, Connection,  as a junior. And I'll admit, I loved show choir. Now, it wasn't all like Glee, but there are a lot similarities. I loved preparing for the competitions. Learning the music and the dances. Seeing it all come together. Working hard as a group and seeing the hard work pay off.

And I've told you about my dreams to go to Broadway and sing on stage. That was when I was 18. I'm pretty sure that I don't want that anymore. But boy do I love a good musical. Ooo, that is one of my top things to do watch a good show. And it doesn't have to be musical theater. I love opera too. I love hearing all the beautiful songs telling a story. Those songs revealing emotions to the audience. They just draw me in and I feel like these stories are real. Those characters are real to me and I just get caught up in the whole thing. Ah, it's been too long since I've seen a good show. I believe that Nolan and I saw Wicked a few years ago and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

I'm pretty sure that those Broadway dreams started when I got a part in the first musical that I auditioned for,  A Chorus Line. Now I was just apart of the chorus....but that's what the show was all about, right? There were a lot of long hours and a lot of work that went into making this production come together, but it was all worth it. And it was worth it when I was in The Wizard of Oz, Will Rogers Follies, The Who's TOMMY, Fiddler on the Roof, The Wizard of Oz (AGAIN), and Chicago. But then it all started to not be worth it when I wasn't getting to do things with my friends. It wasn't worth it when I realized that part of the way to get good parts was to play into all the politics of theater. None of that is me and that is part of the reason why I don't even participate in community theater. And I'm fine with that. I'm fine with just seeing shows. Do I sometimes wish that I would go and audition for a show....sure, every now and then I do, but not enough to get me out there. Not enough to make me leave my family every evening. While I love musical theater, I don't love it more than spending time with my hubby and my favorite girl.

Now a days, I love finding music that fits my taste that I can listen to with Georgia. Stuff that we can just have fun with. I listen to a lot of Jack Johnson. I love him. Nolan and I went to his concert a couple of summers ago and it was great. I also love Alison Krauss. I think that her voice is so pure and special. I could just listen to her all day.

There are plenty of other things that I like listening to, but my favorite is not on the radio. I love to hear Georgia sing. Her little voice just makes me all giddy and happy. I love when we can sing together and when she is upstairs playing and I can hear her singing to herself.  I love hearing her sing at church with the congregation. She loves the doxology. I love the doxology. Who doesn't when it's this beautiful?

No, that is not our church singing. 

When Georgia was a baby, I would rock her and sing all sorts of songs to her. One song was I Know You from Sleeping Beauty. When she was about 2 (maybe a little younger) she would sing that song. Here is a little clip of that....

Ok, seriously cute, right?

So, I've blogged a lot about music since I started writing with the ToT group. Music influences me in so many ways...it can bring me to tears, make me laugh, brighten my day and make me reflect on fond memories. Music is special. It speaks to your heart, if you let it. 

Well, it's not even Tuesday anymore but make sure you check out what my fellow bloggers have to say about music. 

Comments

  1. That video is the cutest ever!!! I also have a kid that will go play by herself in her room and just sing away to herself and her "friends." (Imaginary, baby dolls and stuffed animals.) And like you, I can memorize song lyrics in about 2 listens. Chris thinks it's amazing because he can't remember them for anything!! Great post, friend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts