31 Weeks, No Drama...We'll Keep It That Way!

So....31 weeks. Not much new to write about, but I thought that I should update since inquiring minds WANT TO KNOW!

I was supposed to go see the hematologist on Monday. As I was driving Georgia to my parents house at 8 something in the morning (for those of you that don't know, I don't really get up before then these days and I'm never showered, dressed and driving somewhere unless I have to be) Nolan calls me and lets me know that Dr Walling (the hematologist) was sick and would not be in the office-we would have to reschedule my appointment. Ugh! I get a call at 8 something for my 9:00am appointment. Gotta love MDs that call in at the last minute. Been there, done that. Remember I used to work for doctors and I was the one who got to call their patients and let them know that they were not coming into the office. Two of the MDs I worked for didn't do this too often so it wasn't a big deal and usually their patients didn't get too upset. The other MD, well, she did it all the time and her patients were always yelling at me on the phone because she couldn't get her rear into the office. Anyway, I got off subject a little bit...sorry! Georgia still wanted to go to my mom's house for the morning, so I drove her out there...it was going to give me a little alone time so I was all for it. I would have to call back and reschedule my appointment a little bit later. Well, I called back that afternoon and had to leave a message....no one called me back. Grr!

Today I went in to my OB's office for an ultrasound and NST (non stress test). I always do the ultrasound first. Vicki was my tech once again. She took Georgia and I back to the room and we got to see the babies again. Both had great heartbeats (Baby A 136 and Baby B 130). Georgia loves to hear the heartbeats. She was able to measure the blood flow through the umbilical cord with no problem for each baby. Both babies wiggled at the beginning of the ultrasound, but went back to sleep shortly after things started. Now, since they went back to sleep, they didn't really do their breathing exercises. This is what she was looking for last week and they didn't do them for a full 30 seconds like she wanted. Well it was the same thing this time. Both girls did the exercises, but not for 30 seconds. I told her that they were both more active in the afternoon and at night. Next week my appointment is in the afternoon so hopefully that will help. She also told me to eat lunch right before I come! Vicki did remind me that this wasn't a big deal right now, that the babies do this so randomly at this stage that it can be hard to catch them in the act if they aren't wide awake and active. They are still small, so as they get bigger, they should be doing these breathing exercises most of the time to prepare for life outside. I did forget to ask if Baby B was head up or down today and Vicki didn't tell me. That's ok, I'll find out next Tuesday. 

Then I was off for my NST. Beatrice took me and Georgie back to the room with the recliner and TV. She was able to get both babies on the heartbeat monitor so she strapped me in and I was relaxed and pushing the little button for every kick. Baby A didn't wiggle too much and was able to stay on the monitor. Baby B did better than last week, but there were still times when she was rolling around and her heartbeat would fade in and out. Towards the end of the test I had to press the monitor into my tummy so that it would pick up her heartbeat. She was just wiggling too much. Georgia liked hearing the heartbeats again and towards the end I would tell her when the babies kicked and she got to push the button and we watched that kick count number go up and up! We thought that we might make it to 100 kicks in the hour we were there, but we fell a little short....we ended up at 95. Ha! These babies just are on the move, aren't they! My OB looked at the results and said that everything looks fantastic! YEAH!

While I was having my NST done, I got a visit from another nurse, Dana. She was there to tell me all about the new diet that I have to follow since I FAILED my fasting glucose test. Waaaa! My results for the test were fasting blood draw 80 (it's supposed to be under 90....good work Fletcher!), 1 hour blood draw 175 (this was supposed to be under 170, so a little high but if that was the only high result they would not have worried about it), 2 hour blood draw 165 (this was the kicker, it was supposed to be under 150 OUCH!), and 3 hour blood draw 120 (it was supposed to be under 130, again good work Fletcher). So I don't have to really change too much about my diet. I have to take my blood sugar 4 times a day, first thing in the AM (fasting) and then 1 hour after every meal. I just need to mostly watch what foods trigger a blood sugar spike and either avoid those or have a smaller portion. Nothing was restricted for me, but she did give me some guidelines to follow for watching my carb intake. Also she wants me to make sure that I'm eating every two hours. I'm supposed to have breakfast, AM snack, lunch, PM snack, dinner and before bedtime snack. I asked her if she realized how much more food this is than what I've been eating. That maybe part of my problem.....I'm not eating enough and then my blood sugar spikes when I do eat and then crashes again until I decide to eat again. It's really just the snacks that I'm missing. And it's not all the time. I do usually have something in the afternoons, but I can't say that I do it every day. But I'm going to make an effort to eat more often. I am going to start tomorrow with all my testing. I have to turn in my testing sheet every week so they can make sure that things are going in the right direction. Dana also told me that the more recent research has found that gestational diabetes is caused by your body producing too many hormones, probably because of your placenta. And for some women, it doesn't matter what they eat, they just have high blood glucose until the baby and placenta are born. Well, this makes sense that women who are carrying multiple babies would be more likely to have gestational diabetes since there is more than one placenta. Just an interesting little tid bit of information. 

So after 2 1/2 hours at the OB's office, I was headed home!!! 

After I got home from the OB office, I called the hematologist back. I told them the situation and gal that answered the phone said that she could schedule me for July 9! JULY 9! REALLY! I could have babies by then! I asked if there was anything sooner because I was sure that my OB would not want me waiting that long for an appointment. I had already waited two weeks for the first appointment, then she canceled on me. I really didn't think that it was fair for me to have to wait another two weeks to see her when it wasn't my fault that the appointment was missed in the first place. Anyway, the receptionist would have to call me back. Later in the afternoon I got a call back saying that they could get me in tomorrow afternoon sometime, but I would have to wait. Really, that's what I want to do more of, sitting around in a medical office waiting on appointments.....because I don't do enough of that already....see above....2 1/2 hours today and that is my short appointment. Or she could schedule me for next Monday at 9:30. I took the Monday at 9:30 so that Nolan would be able to come with me. He can't just take off work and sit with me for who knows how long at the doctor's office. That is just insane! But it's taken care of and we will see what Dr Walling has to say about my hemoglobin and my iron count! Fingers crossed that the iron supplements are working wonders for my body and I won't need any further treatment!!!

As for how I'm doing....pretty good. I've got some aches and pain, but you'll have that with any pregnancy. I am burning a path to the bathroom because Baby A is sitting on top of my bladder. My biggest complaint is that my tummy itches like crazy. The beauty of pregnancy...take it or leave it. If it means seeing two healthy beautiful girls in a few weeks, I'll take it. 

Stay tuned for more adventures next week when I turn 32 weeks!!!!! By the way, most twins are born between 32 and 37 weeks.....we could have babies REAL soon!

Comments

Popular Posts