Dearest Nolan

It's Tuesday again folks, and you know what that means right.......well not only does it mean that I have doctor's appointments that last for HOURS, but also it's time again for ToT! I know, you are all trying to contain your excitement!

This week's topic is to write a letter to your spouse or significant other. It doesn't have to be lovey dovey. It can be anything you want to tell them. So, here is my letter to Nolan........

Dear Nolan,


Summers usually make me think of our first summer after we started dating. We would stay up way to late, you would come over for dinner and would stay with me until the last absolute minute before I had to go work the night shift, I would come over to your house early in the mornings after I got off work just to see you for a little bit before you went to work, sometimes we met for lunch, we would take day trips to Chicago, we watched fireworks on the 4th of July and talked about the future. Sometimes we even talked about our future. 


It seemed like life was just starting, like our life together was just starting. It was then that I first started thinking about just where this relationship was going.....was it going to fizzle, was I going to find out something about you I didn't like, were we going to start fighting over little things or was I going to start falling deeply in love with sweet Nolan? Well, if you remember correctly, I fell head over heels in love with you. Sure there were some fights, there were times when things fizzled a bit and there were things about you that I didn't like but mostly I just kept falling in love with you. 


Those days seemed so carefree. I wasn't sure where life was leading us, but I sure as heck knew that I wanted us to be together. I couldn't imagine not being together. I couldn't imagine finding someone that was a better fit for me than you. There was no way the grass could be greener. But that also made me a bit insecure. I was ready to put myself out there, but I wasn't sure that you were. Sometimes you were hard to read, sometimes you made me doubt that our relationship was a good thing....like maybe I was just making it up or it was just good for me.  But you weren't going anywhere. And after that summer, I knew that we were going to get married. Even though you ventured off to Atlanta before proposing....I knew one day you would get around to it, and you did. 


So now, we are far from carefree days. We have things to worry about....mostly kids to worry about. Georgia is almost in kindergarten, can you even believe she is that big? And here is the kicker, she's going to keep growing. She is such a wonderful, charming little girl. I love seeing you in her as well as myself. She really is a good mix of each of us. And as we are teaching her, she is always teaching us as well. She is teaching us patience, love, and understanding. It's been such a joy to share this with you and watch you change from just Nolan to the most important role that you will ever have....Daddy. 


And TWINS! I still can't believe that we are having two babies in a few short weeks.We have two cribs set up.  I see them once a week via ultrasound. I hear their heartbeats. I feel them moving. But I don't think that it has sunk in my mind. I don't think it will until I see two babies coming home with us from the hospital. I think it's the same for you too. I can't wait to see what they will look like, what they will sound like, what their personalities will be like. 


And then there is Violet. I can't think of a single person that I would have wanted by my side more than you. While I wish that things would have happened differently, I feel that our relationship grew more because of her death. We drew closer together instead of further apart. They (who ever "they" are) say that situations like ours sometimes make couples go in opposite directions. He is grieving one way and she is grieving another and they don't understand the other person. Therefore, fights happen and the relationship was not what it once was and will take a lot of work to get it back.  I was NOT going to let that happen. I had it set in my head that I was not going to make a big deal about how you were grieving the loss of our daughter. I was going to let you do it your own way. And if I needed something from you to help me with my grieving, I was going to tell you. I was not going to sit there in silence and then become resentful because you didn't know my every need. What I needed most was to be close to you and that is what you gave me....your support, love, strength and all the hugs I needed.....even in the wee hours of the morning when I couldn't sleep. 


My how times have changed. We've gone from carefree days to worrying about kids, money, cars, a house and so much more. Do I wish that some things were different about our lives...you betcha! Do I want to walk this road with anyone else, are you outta your mind? No way Jose! 


Love, 
Nan


Here are some things that I love/admire/find ridiculous about my husband......

1. You fall asleep so quickly...it doesn't matter the location or time of day. You are second only to my father for your speed.
2. Georgia loves her Daddy more than anyone else. While she loves me too, she and Nolan share a special relationship, at least for now. And I cherish watching their relationship form.
3. I love how it's no big thang for you to go out and run three miles without training a bit.....and faster than any of my three mile runs, even when I was training.
4. You have so many board games it's insane. And I secretly love that you have SOMETHING that you like to collect.
5. You make sure to water our violet every Sunday, pretty much without fail. I love that.
6. You watch more baseball than anyone I know besides your dad. It can be pretty much any team, you may not care who wins, but you just want to see the game.
7. I love that you try to appreciate the things that I love....it maybe musical theater or it maybe Grey's Anatomy (ok the last one is kind of a stretch, but you will watch it with me).
8. Your love for ice cream and coffee are surpassed by only your love for me and our kids...I'm pretty sure.
9. I love it when you starting laughing so hard you can't stop. The look on your face is priceless. This usually happens when we have stayed up way to late.
10. I love it that you ALWAYS take care of the animals. And that when you ask them to get out of your way you usually say please and thank you....you are so polite.

Even with a Movember 'stach I still love him!

The list could go on, but I'll stop at 10....my hubby is one of the best guys I know. I'm glad that I picked up on the secret before some other chick did!

Remember to check out with the other ToT gals and what their letters say......



Comments

  1. That was great. You're the best! (I just told you that too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys make a great pair. I love that you have each other!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet! Love you both!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts