Did You Hear About The Time Evie Got Pneumonia?

A couple of weeks ago, June started to get a cold and cough. She felt crummy for a couple of days, but then the cold went away but the cough lingered. And sure enough, a few days later, Evie got the same cold and cough. 

We ended up spending most of last week snuggled up on the couch watching "shows". "Shows" are what the girls call Sesame Street and Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and pretty much anything else that comes on PBS. 

Last Thursday I had planned a play date with our friend Sarah and her son James. James is a year older than the twins and they get along pretty well! Anyway, Evie and June were both feeling much better so we ventured out to the park. We were able to spend a few hours there playing on the playground, walking and having a picnic! The girls played hard climbing and sliding! It was a great time, but a nap was in desperate need when we got home. 

The girls stayed home and napped while I went to get Georgia from school. Don't worry, Nolan was working from home that day! When I got back, the girls were awake and playing in their cribs. I got June up and then Evie. Evie was warm and just wanted to snuggle. I thought she was just warm because both of them got a little sun on their cheeks and I thought she was snuggly because she didn't get much of a nap. Anyway, she seemed to feel a little better as the evening went on. 

Friday morning, I got her up and she was still warm and her eyes and nose were both runny. Poor kid. I could just tell she felt terrible. I was able to get her fever down with meds and I went ahead and started her eye drops again, she had pink eye the 2 weeks before. Her eyes got a little better as the day went on and she seemed to feel pretty good after her nap. But by dinner time she was back to feel pretty terrible. We gave her more meds and put her to bed. She still had a cough, but nothing terrible. It wasn't keeping her up at night, so we didn't think too much of it. 

Saturday morning when she got up, her eyes looked much better and she didn't have a fever. She still had a terrible cough so I thought that I was going to neAed to keep her home from the Easter egg hunt at church. But 30 minutes later she was fine and running around with Georgia. We decided to take her along with us to the egg hunt because how many kids have colds right now. You can't stay home every time your kid has a cough otherwise you would be home ALL THE TIME!

She did fine through the egg hunt and lunch....no fever...no runny eyes...minimal coughing and a bit of a runny nose. Not too bad! The twins feel asleep on the way home from lunch. We had to take Georgia to a friend's birthday party so we did that and then drove to the grocery store. When I got Evie out of the car she felt pretty warm and her cheeks were really red. I could tell she wasn't feeling good again. 

We got home and I snuggled her on the couch and gave her some meds. An hour later she was still really warm so Nolan took her temp and it was 101.7. I could hear some rattling in her lungs so we decided that I should take her to Medcheck. 

After the initial exam, the doctor told me that she wanted to do an x ray to check for pneumonia. WHAT! PNEUMONIA? I told myself that she was just being overly cautious. There is no way my baby would have Pneumonia!

Well after trying to get a 1 year old to hold still for an x ray, the doctor came back with the results....yep the very onset of pneumonia. As she's showing me the x ray, I'm too busy thinking about a hospital stay. Isn't that what happens when you have pneumonia? You have to go to the hospital. 

Well, it turns out that you don't always have to go to the hospital when you have pneumonia We were sent home with a nebulizer and instructed on how to do the breathing treatments and a prescription for an antibiotic. 

So, at the beginning, doing the breathing treatments was a struggle. That little girl is STRONG. She twists and turns and screams and cries like this is pure torture. Now we figured out if we do this while watching a "show" that it goes much easier. 

Most importantly, she is feeling better. The breathing treatments are helping and so are the antibiotics. She has a follow up appointment with her doctor on Friday. I'm hoping that we can stop the breathing treatments after that. 

So, thank you all who have seen the posts on Facebook that Evie was sick and thought about us and said a little prayer for us. We are all doing much better!  

Comments

Popular Posts