September Challenge!

I have a confession to make to you my friends......the Fletcher Lichti's have been eating too much fast food!!!! It seems that since the twins have come along, it's been so easy for me to go to the nearest drive thru on my way to the grocery store or on the way to pick up Georgia or on the way to where ever we are going for the day. And let me tell you, it's got to stop and it's got to stop now. (By the way, I do have my standards...no McDonald's EVER! Most of the time, I would get a bean burrito from Taco Bell...not that it's much better, but in my mind it is.)

So I gathered all the members of my family (excluding Evie and June, they have no say in this matter) and we discussed our problem. Nolan agreed that there has been too much fast food in our lives....Georgia, well, she thinks that we should always eat out and that fast food is always the best option. She's WRONG! So, I brought a challenge to my family. I suggested that we challenge ourselves to one month of being fast food free. Nolan said he could get on board with that. Georgia thought that she might not survive the month. We reassured her that she would. In this house majority rules (until Evie and June get old enough to have a vote...then Nolan and I are out numbered) and so we are going one month fast food free! 

We do have some rules about what is really "fast food" and whats not. At first I said anything with a drive thru. But then you've got Starbucks in that mix. Um, we only get Starbucks once a week (if that), so it's not really a problem. And we rarely eat there, we just get coffee, tea and the occasional chocolate milk. 

Then Nolan asked about some of the places that don't have a drive thru.....like Qdoba, Penn Station, Chipotle, Panera, Jimmy Johns, Subway. Those are all places that we go to as a family or for lunch. We do need SOME quick service places to eat because really folks, we go out to eat 3 or 4 times a week. Usually Friday and Saturday nights and Sunday after church. And, I don't think those count as regular fast food. I don't put them in the same category as McDonald's. So our conclusion was that those places are allowed. 

So, the restaurants we are banning this month are....
-McDonald's 
-Arby's
-Wendy's
-Taco Bell
-Hardee's 
-Chick-fil-a (that is a hard one for Nolan)

And Nolan brought up, "what about ice cream?" Yep! No Dairy Queen for ice cream. No stopping at Arby's for a $1 shake. 

So we'll see how we do. Will it be really hard for us to give up this nasty habit? Check back on Oct 1 and see if we are rushing to the nearest fast food chain to get our cheap food fix!

Comments

Popular Posts