ToT: Secrets Of A Super Woman

What are your super woman secrets? How to do you do it all every day? What are you willing to fudge so you can do everything else? This is what we're talking about this week. 

Super woman. Am I a super woman? I'm not sure about that. Do I have a few tricks up my sleeve? You betcha. And I suppose I'll share those with you...but just a few ;)

Having twins has really turned my world upside down. I'm constantly busy. And I tell myself every day that I'm going to do this, that and the other while the twins are napping. But, do you want to know the truth? This is what I really do when they are napping, I sit on the couch. I watch daytime TV. I check out Facebook. I pin stuff that I'm never going to do on Pinterest. I take a nap. I'm human...I like to veg!

Dressing The Part
Getting myself dressed in the morning, even if it's just yoga pants and a long sleeved t-shirt makes me more productive. Sure lounging in my PJs until I have to go get Georgia is relaxing. It feels good. But I'm far more productive when I'm dressed. 

Just A Little Bit
So, the past few weeks, to help keep me on track with doing all of the things that need to be done around the house, I decided that I was just not going to let things get messy. I was going to clear the dishwasher EVERYDAY. I was going to load the dishwasher EVERYDAY. I was going to do a load of laundry EVERYDAY. I was going to pick up the baby toys in the living room EVERYDAY. And so far it's been working well. The kitchen is clean every morning when I wake up and that is such a good feeling. At the end of the night we go to bed to a clean living room. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is make sure you do the little things every day. That way, the little things don't turn into big things.

You Can Catch More Flies With Honey Than With Vinegar
I have no idea about flies, but what I do know is that I use vinegar. And I use a lot of it. I put it in the dishwasher. I just dump some in the bottom and my dishes come out with no residue. No spots! Miracle! I use it to clean...I wash windows and mirrors and the girl's plastic toys. No harsh chemicals here, no way Jose! And I have been known to dump a little vinegar in the washing machine with a load of towels. It helps take the icky smell away. I buy vinegar almost every week at the grocery store. It's a staple at the Fletcher Lichti house!

If You Can't Stand The Heat Get Out Of The Kitchen
A big thing here is making dinner. Going out to eat got really old when I was pregnant. We went out all the time. We went out to dinner so often that we got sick of eating out. Eating out is supposed to be fun. It's supposed to be a treat. It's supposed to be delicious. And eating out got to the point where it was none of those things for us. We would sit in the car and try to figure out some place to go. And nothing ever sounded good. We had been to all of our go to kid friendly, nearby restaurants so many times that they just sounded BLEH! 

Now that we are finding our groove here in Twinland, we are getting back into our routines from before the twinsies were born....eating at home more often. My goal is 3 times a week for me to make a homemade meal...Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday we always go to my parent's house for Fletcher Family Dinner Night. Friday, Saturday we eat out for dinner. Sunday we have been eating out for lunch, but I'm trying to get into the habit of making something in the crock pot for us to dive into when we get home from church. 

Since we are cooking at home, meal planning is a must. I sit down and look through recipes that I want to make. I ask my dining companions (Nolan and Georgia) if they have any suggestions for a meal. They are pretty worthless when it comes to this. Nolan eats almost anything and Georgia's diet would consist of mac and cheese, grilled cheese or chicken nuggets if it was up to her. So I have to find something that is going to please my 5 year old boring eater and my 33 year old eat anything eater. Anyway, as I make my menu for the week, I make a grocery list. And when I'm finished with my list I make sure to go through the fridge and the pantry to see if there is anything else that needs to be added. And then I head to the store. We've been going on Sunday evenings and while things are picked over, that is really the best time for us to go. And that way, I don't have to go alone. Shopping goes faster when Nolan is with me. I'm easily distracted by items in the store. They call my name. And some how I end up in the home section smelling all the lovely candles when I just went into Target for some OJ and cheese. You know that you all do it all the time. Target.....it sucks you in and you stay for 1 1/2 hours when it should have been a 15 minute trip!

The Peanut To My Butter
Having an A-W-E-S-O-M-E partner helps! We do little things like clean up the kitchen together after dinner. Or have a laundry folding party while watching Mad Men. Or when one of us is super duper tired or has a million and one things to get done the other will take on some extra stuff. There are some gender roles that go on in our home. Who does most of the house cleaning...the wife. Who cooks dinner....the wife. Who mows the lawn....the husband. Who plunges the toilet...the husband. Who drills holes in the walls so I can hang a picture....the husband. And most of the time, we do those things because either the other person hates to do it or because we actually like doing it. I'm pretty sure that neither of us like plunging the toilet....Nolan gets that job by default. I can't do it....it doesn't work for me. I try...I fail. Enough about the toilet plunging. My point is, having a partner in crime who is awesome makes you awesome too. 

Slacker
What do I slack on? Hmm. Nothing. I'm perfect and get everything done. Not so much! 

I don't clean my bathroom very often. There I've said it. You know my deep dark secret. The master bath in our house is a pit. The counter top has about a million little hair ties and bobbie pins. My flat iron sits out. Dust is collecting on my bottles of perfume. I think I have a nursing bra sitting on the counter. It's been there for probably 3 weeks. Why haven't I put it away? I don't know! I'm lazy. I'm tired. Nobody goes in there but me...and Nolan. It's just not high on my priority list. When people come over, I never say to myself, "I better clean the master bathroom." No, I always say, "I better sweep up all the dog and cat hair before they get here!" Don't worry, the guest bathroom is always clean!

Here is another thing I do to make my life easier. I really want to be that lady that goes to the farmer's market every Saturday to pick up my veggies for the week. I want to be the lady that chats it up with the farmers at the farmer's market because I see them every Saturday when I go to get my veggies. But I don't have time for that. I have my organic veggies delivered to my home via Green Bean Delivery. I can even get local stuff. And I can get meat and eggs from family farms. So, I get farmer's market directly to my door. 

I eat fast food. Not every day. Not even a lot. But some times, it's just what fits into my schedule. Sometimes, I'm out and I can run through the drive thru and grab a quick sandwich and be on my merry way. It never really tastes that great. It's terrible for my waistline But sometimes, you just need some McNuggets to tide you over. And I think that being bloated because I ate some french fries is better than being Mrs. Cranky Pants because I haven't eaten since yesterday. 

We make sure to run the dishwasher EVERY NIGHT. We do this even if it's not full. Before we had the twins, we waited until it was full to run it, but when you have 10,000 baby bottles and all the parts that go with them that need to be washed on a daily basis, you run the dishwasher. It takes so long to wash all of those little bottles. So in the morning, I unload the dishwasher. Then I just load it through out the day with whatever we use. And when we head to bed, we run it. It might be full. It might not. 

I hate to iron. I would rather be doing a million other things. So, when I have something that is a little bit wrinkled, I just throw it in the dryer on high for a couple of minutes. My clothes not only come out toasty warm, they come out with no wrinkles. And while it was in the dryer, I was able to brush my teeth and make my bed.

Those are my tips and tricks for being a super woman. Maybe you just learned a little something!

Comments

Popular Posts