Results

Several weeks after Violet's death, I heard back from all the blood work that Violet and I had done while in the hospital. My OB called with the results and informed me that it looked like Violet had a problem with her chromosomes. She also said that it was probably a fluke thing, but she wanted Nolan and I to have some genetic testing done.
We each had blood work and waiting for the results. Nolan's came back first showing no genetic problems. Before my results came back, I had my 6 weeks check up with my OB.
I was terrified. I had to go back to the same office where weeks before they told me my baby died. Again, it felt like another slap in the face. I had to go back to this office where I would sit and wait with a bunch of pregnant women. Couldn't I come at another time, when there would be no pregnant women there? Did I have to be in the same room with a bunch of bulging bellies? Well, I did and Nolan was there with me, holding my hand as we waited. So different from the last time we were there. There was no joking to make each other feel better, there was just hand holding and comforting glances.
When we were finally called back we sat there and waited. Again, just like the last time I was there, I could hear a beating heart in the room next door. They really should pay more attention to who's exam room they put you next to. Sitting there, waiting for my doctor and listening to woosh, woosh, woosh, woosh coming from the room next door the tears started to flow. I didn't want to cry that day. I wanted to be strong. I was doing so well until woosh, woosh, woosh started.
I was able to compose myself before Dr Voelkel came into the room. She gave me a big hug and we talked. We talked about what happened, the test results (mine were still not back yet) and what the next step would be. She was confident that my results would also come back fine, an as soon as we got word from the lab, we could start trying again for another baby.
Trying for another baby was something that I wanted to do right away. We tried for Violet for a year, then we were 26 1/2 weeks into our pregnancy with her when she died....we wanted a baby a year ago and things just hadn't gone according to plan. We talked about some options and Dr Voelkel  asked if we would like a prescription for Clomid. Clomid helps regulate ovulation and makes it a little bit easier to get pregnant. But there is a small chance that this could result in a multiple pregnancy. We decided that we would try on our own and Dr Voelkel said that if we ever decided that we wanted to try the medication, we could just call and she would send in a prescription for me.
We left feeling pretty good. A few days later I got a phone call from the doctor's office letting me know that everything came back just fine with my blood work. What a relief. All of this right before Thanksgiving. At least now we had a little bit more to be thankful for this year!

Comments

Popular Posts