good reads #10 The Giver

A while back, I finished up The Giver, but completely forgot to blog about it! Well, it was interesting, for sure. All in all, I really enjoyed the book. I loved learning about Jonas and his community where everything is the same. There is no pain....no war, but at what cost. Since they truly can not experience pain they also never know true love. 

I see what their plan was....I see that they were just "trying" to make things better. But some of the things that I love most about life are all the differences that I see. I'm exposed to new and different things and ideas through my friends and family. Being the same is boring....isn't that what we teach our kids? At least we do in this house. We teach our kids to find the beauty in being different and embrace it. 

Jonas realizes this as the book goes on. He learns that every life is valuable, even if they don't meet the expectations and standards that we have set as "good." Jonas wants to change his world, but at what cost. 

Read the book....it's a YA book, but it's a good read for grown up kids too! The movie is out..not sure if I'm going to watch it or not. 

What is your opinion of the book? Have you seen the movie?

Comments

Popular Posts