ToT-Why, Mommy?

This weeks topic for ToT is an impromptu reflection on the bombings yesterday in Boston. We didn't have a topic and Michelle over at After 9 and Some Weekends suggested that we write about this tragedy. I think that many of us were probably going to write about it anyway, so good choice Michelle.

Why? That is the question my five year old asked me when we heard about the bombing in Boston yesterday. That is the question I would like answered myself. But really would any answer justify the terror that was inflicted on every person in Boston yesterday? Would it justify innocent bystanders having wounds so horrific that amputations are necessary? Would it justify moms and dads, brothers and sister, friends and family never seeing their loved ones again?

Georgia and I heard the news in the car yesterday coming home from piano lessons. I started to cry thinking about the loss of life and those hurt. I think that my tears frightened her more than learning about the bomb. It must be weird to see your mom crying for people she doesn't even know.

When we got home, we did turn on the news. That may have been selfish on my part....I wanted to know what was going on. We both sat there wide eyed as we watched footage of the bombing on television. I asked her if this was scary. She said, "a little." We talked about our safety. We talked about how things like this don't happen very often (at least here in the US). We talked about the good people that were helping those that were hurt. We talked about why someone might do this. In the end she said, "I am just sad for the people who got hurt." Yep, me too babe, me too. We turned off the TV for the rest of the night because we knew that we were just going to keep seeing those images. And it was just going to be too much. None of us could stand to watch it over and over again. And to hear it over and over again.

Today, I learned of little Martin who was killed yesterday. Little 8 year old Martin. My heart aches for those parents. I feel for that father who was running the race. That father who has lost his son. That father who's wife has serious injuries. That father who's daughter had a leg amputated. They left the house that morning for a family day.They were doing something that many families strive to do, make memories together. Instead, of a happy day that they will remember, it's turned into something tragic. Little Martin left that day and is never coming home. You just never know what is going to happen. I think that all of us hugged our loved ones a little tighter and remembered to say, "I love you" last night.

Events like this and Sandy Hook make you wonder about humanity. What in the world is going on? It makes you scared to leave your home. It makes you want to bunker down in your safe place. Would I be happy living that way, living a life of fear. No. But it just makes you think about it. Sometimes those doomsday preppers don't sound so loony.

Last night as I was scrolling through social media, I saw so many of my friends and family also wondering why this happened. A quote from Fred Rogers (a hero of mine) was shared over and over again, "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping. To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I'm always comforted by realizing there are still so many so many helpers-so many caring people in this world." The helpers. That is what I want to take away from this tragedy. That is what I want Georgia to remember. I want her to remember the people who were running towards the tragedy. Those who were risking their lives to help those in need. Those who comforted those who could not find their families. Those who stopped fleeing the scene to help the hurt. Those who offered their homes to the people who could not get back to their hotels. Those who after completing the race, kept running to the nearest hospital to give blood. These were not all medical and public safety persons, they were average Joes. They were people like you and me. They were the helpers.


Comments

  1. Wow. Since I am the only ToT without any children, I had not yet thought about what a parent should (or even could) say to begin to explain this tragedy. But, I must say, I completely agree with your approach (as much as someone with no children could agree or disagree with a parenting choice, that is). I have never been a fan of 'lets just pretend this isn't happening because I don't want to traumatize my kid" It happened, she knows it happened and she will continue hearing about what happened at school, etc. I like particularly that you guys did watch some of the coverage and then discussed in good detail the multiple different aspects of something like this. But beyond that, I certainly agree that enough is enough, lets turn it off and try and have some normalcy. Honestly, Mark and I did that, and we are in our 30's! You are awesome! Keep doing such a great job so we'll have some little people grow up and be some great people that our world is so desperately in need of!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts